Ericksonian Hypnotherapy: Level II
This course builds on Ericksonian Hypnotherapy Level I and provides you with advanced knowledge and a deeper understanding of the work of the famous Milton Erickson. The main principle of Ericksonian hypnosis, Observation – Utilisation, will be further explored and expanded. You will become more fluent in artfully vague language, indirect suggestion, and the use of implication and metaphor. Your observational skills will be further developed, enabling you to detect the most subtle messages from the client’s unconscious.
Five good reasons to enrol on this course:
To further explore the magic of Ericksonian hypnotherapy and utilisation
To become fluent in indirect suggestion and artfully vague language
To reach unconscious competency in conversational hypnosis and develop a hypnotic personality
To improve your communication with others, both personally and professionally
To fully explore the creative power of your own unconscious mind
The training course is a balanced mixture of presentations, demonstrations, exercises and evaluations. My training style can be characterised as intensive, personal, playful and humorous. The Ericksonian principles are not only taught, but they are also practised, allowing you to learn both experientially and conceptually. Each training day will offer you:
- Presentations of principles, techniques and language patterns
- Live demonstrations of techniques and interventions
- Brainstorming sessions to generate new ideas, pathways and possibilities
- Short and playful exercises to practice particular skills
- Structured exercises to practice specific inductions and Ericksonian models
- Integrative exercises to practice full hypnotherapy sessions
- Evaluations of exercises and learning experiences
This course will take you deeper into the world of Ericksonian hypnotherapy in a way that is practical, comprehensible and fun. The subject-matter in Level I will be reiterated and expanded upon and deepened. Click on the items below to find out what you will learn.
Level II will enable you to deeply understand and internalise the Ericksonian principles and automatically express them in your words, techniques and interventions.
- Conscious/unconscious dissociation
- Automatic/unconscious change and healing
- Unconscious resources and solutions
- Natural ability to go into trance, to change and to heal
- Multilevel communication: conscious – unconscious
- Parallel communication (indirect suggestion, metaphor)
- Intertwining Information gathering, Rapport building, Trance induction and Therapeutic Intervention.
- Client uniqueness
- Therapist flexibility and creativity
All information gathering techniques of level I will be recaptured and extended. We will explore advanced questions and questioning styles to acquire blocked or hidden information.
- Meta-state questions: to uncover meta-states
- Humorous and provocative questions: to reveal blocked information
- Matrix questions: to get a full picture of a problem or solution
- Logical level questions: to explore the abstraction level of the problem
- Advanced ideomotor questioning: to reach unconscious information
Good rapport is key to successful communication and therapy. Level II provides you with subtle and sophisticated ways to establish a rapport that deep enough for total trust and fundamental change.
- Expressing confidence and competence
- Using metaphors, analogies and symbols to build safety and trust
- Looking through the client’s persona to see their heart and soul
Where Level I taught you specific induction techniques, we will now explore more open and creative ways of trance induction based on certain concepts.
- Expectation: waiting expectantly for trance to happen
- Confusion: using concepts of time, space, person and awareness
- Utilisation: utilising the client’s behaviour, feelings, resistance etc.
- Memory: activating early learning experiences
The language patterns of level I will be recaptured and expanded with cutting-edge forms of indirect and artfully vague communication.
- Multi-level communication with the conscious and unconscious mind
- The interspersal technique: hiding suggestions in a casual conversation or story
- Ambiguity: of scope, punctuation or syntax
- Poetic hypnosis: using rhythm, rhyme and condensed language
- Apposition of opposites and oxymorons
- Intentional slips of the tongue and incomplete sentences
Where level I gave you the basic hypnotic skills, this course will add the advanced skills for you to become a versatile and creative hypnotherapist.
- Analogue marking using posture, gestures and facial expressions
- Pattern intervention: interruption, utilisation, creation
- Utilisation of spontaneous trance phenomena
- Create amnesia for entire trance experience of certain parts of it
- Advanced ideomotor signalling and questions to the unconscious
- Seeding (priming): subtly preparing steps of trance and therapy
- Prescribing the symptom/problem
- Ambiguous therapeutic tasks
Utilisation of the client’s experience
In level I we explored the utilisation of the client’s behaviour, ideas, feeling and interests. Now, the principle of utilisation is expanded to more complex or limiting aspects of the client experience.
- Trance phenomena as metaphors for problems or solutions.
- Client metaphors, symbols and figures of speech
- Satir communication styles
- Limiting norms and beliefs
- Control and resistance
- Symptoms and problems
This course will provide you with cutting-edge Ericksonian interventions including advanced forms of the Mirroring Hands technique.
- Mirroring hands initiated from spontaneous movements
- The nonverbal Symptom-Solution Shift
- Erickson’s Crystal Ball-technique
- Timeline interventions (Ericksonian style)
For whom is this course designed?
This course is specially designed for people working in healthcare professions like psychotherapists, coaches, counsellors and social workers and people working in education. Some people also take this course for their personal development and growth.
You can enrol in this course after completing the Ericksonian Hypnotherapy Level I training, the Dutch workshops Ericksonian Hypnotherapy I and II or comparable training.
Date: 20 – 24 September 2021
Location: Wijkermeerstraat 6, Hoofddorp (near Amsterdam airport), the Netherlands
Time: 10:00 AM to 5:00 PM
Fee: € 950,- incl. lunch
Trainer: Jos van Boxtel
Please note: dedicated on-site training is provided upon request.
About Jos van Boxtel
I am a hypnotherapist, trainer and author with a private practice and training institute in Utrecht, the Netherlands. For the last 15 years, I have been practising and teaching Ericksonian hypnotherapy and NLP and integrating the two with approaches like EMDR, Solution Focused Therapy and Neurosemantics.
My mission in life is facilitating others in healing their wounds, overcoming their fears and achieving their goals and dreams. Ericksonian Hypnotherapy has become my leading approach, realising the power of rapport building, utilisation and indirect suggestion. Part of my mission is training others in the art of Ericksonian communication and hypnosis.
Along with my journey, I have intensely studied the work of the late Milton Erickson and his early followers Ernest Rossi, Jeffrey Zeig and Stephen Brooks and made it my own. With Brooks, I collaborate as the author of a series of books that are to be published in 2019. In my private practice, I apply the Ericksonian principles, techniques and language patterns on a daily basis and I enjoy teaching them in workshops and courses. I am fluent in English, German and Dutch.