Ericksonian Hypnotherapy: Level I
About Ericksonian hypnotherapy
American psychiatrist Milton Erickson is generally considered to be the founder of modern hypnotherapy and one of the most successful therapists of the 20th century. Ericksonian hypnotherapy is substantially different from classical hypnosis and other forms of psychotherapy. The basic principle of Ericksonian hypnosis, also called conversational hypnosis, is Observation – Utilisation. By observing and utilising minimal nonverbal cues, a subtle yet powerful communication with the unconscious mind is established.
Quick problem resolution and goal achievement
The unconscious is considered the be a treasure trove of learning experiences, resources and solutions: the hypnotherapist tunes into the client’s unique ideas, needs and patterns to stimulate the required resources and solutions. Ericksonian hypnotherapy often results in quick problem resolution and goal achievement, often accompanied by a spontaneous process of personal or spiritual growth.
Five good reasons to enrol on this course:
To discover the magic of Ericksonian hypnotherapy and utilisation
To master indirect suggestion and artfully vague language in a short time
To add conversational hypnosis to your repertoire as healthcare professional, coach or teacher
To improve your communication with others, both personally and professionally
To unleash the potential of your own unconscious mind
Ericksonian hypnotherapy is a gentle, yet effective approach which can be applied with a myriad of symptoms and problems. The art of vague and indirect suggestion can be used in therapy, coaching, education or any field which involves communication with people. The principle of utilisation allows you to work with practically anyone, accepting their behaviour, beliefs and personality and utilising them for their benefit.
Though Ericksonian hypnotherapy is a versatile stand-alone method, it can also serve to expand other forms of therapy, coaching or counselling and it can be seamlessly integrated into methods such as NLP, EMDR, CBT, EFT, ACT, Regression, Solution Focused Therapy and various types of bodywork. American hypnotherapist and author Ernest Rossi merged the extensive and complex work of Erickson into a special technique, called Mirroring Hands that includes the core of Erickson’s work and is universally applicable.
In this 5-day course, you’ll become familiar with the key principles, techniques and language patterns in Ericksonian hypnotherapy. Step by step you will learn the magic of multi-level communication, indirect suggestion, implication and metaphor. You will discover how to be artfully vague; use words that are vague enough to match the client ’s experience and specific enough to elicit new responses. Your observational skills will be sharpened, enabling you to recognise subtle messages from the client’s unconscious. We will explore how to create a deep rapport with both the conscious and the unconscious mind allowing the former to let go and the latter to create a solution.
All stages of Ericksonian hypnosis are presented, demonstrated and practised, enabling you to master them in a short period of time and combine them with methods familiar to you. As your trainer, I will teach you multiple versions of the Mirroring Hands technique, allowing you to apply this unique approach to a wide variety of problems, including stress, fears, phobias, IBS, smoking and weight-loss.
This is by far the most inspiring course I have attended! Jos has a wealth of knowledge and delivers the subject matter in a clear and concise manner. The structure of the workshop is well thought out and comprehensive. By alternating between theory and practical, you can immediately apply conversationale hypnosis in your practice! Hugely enriching… ~ Rosalie van de Donk, Hypnotherapist
The 5-day Ericksonian Hypnotherapy training course is a balanced mixture of presentations, demonstrations and exercises. My training style can be characterised as intensive, personal, playful and humorous. The Ericksonian principles are not only taught, but they are also practised, allowing you to learn both experientially and conceptually. Each training day will offer you:
- Presentations of principles, techniques and language patterns
- Live demonstrations of techniques and interventions
- Brainstorming sessions to generate new ideas, pathways and possibilities
- Short and playful exercises to practice particular skills
- Structured exercises to practice specific inductions and Ericksonian models
- Integrative exercises to practice full hypnotherapy sessions
- Evaluations of exercises and learning experiences
All exercises will be supervised, supporting your learning process and providing you with valuable feedback.
We will introduce you to the world of Ericksonian hypnotherapy in a way that is practical, comprehensible and fun. Just click on the items below to find out what you will learn.
Ericksonian hypnotherapy builds on a set of principles, concepts underlying and shaping each technique, intervention en interaction. The key principles will be presented, explored and put into practice.
- Conscious-Unconscious dissociation
- Automatic/involuntary response, change and healing
- Unconscious resources and solutions
- Multilevel communication: conscious – unconscious
- Intertwined layers of Information gathering, Rapport building, Trance induction and Therapeutic intervention
- Client uniqueness
- Therapist flexibility and creativity
Trance induction and therapeutic intervention are always tailored to the client’s specific problem, goal, beliefs so we need the right and the right amount of information. This course will teach you effective questions and questioning styles to achieve that goal.
- Open versus closed questions: when to use what?
- Precision questions: to challenge vague information
- Follow-up questions: to get to the heart of the problem
- Indirect questions: to avoid resistance
- Ideomotor questioning: to gather unconscious information
Trance induction is the process of guiding someone into a state of hypnotic trance. Various types of induction techniques will be demonstrated and practised, allowing you to match each client’s hypnotic style.
- Conversational inductions: using vague and indirect suggestions for trance
- Previous-Trance inductions: utilising previous hypnotic trance or everyday trance
- Guided imagery: staircase, elevator, pleasant scene, body image
- Kinaesthetic inductions: arm levitation, handshake, swaying
- Fixation inductions: eye fixation, eye fascination
Ericksonian hypnosis is also called conversational hypnosis and language plays a key role in it. This course will teach you the key facets of hypnotic language and how to merge them into a powerful therapeutic communication.
- Multi-level communication with the conscious and unconscious mind
- Artfully vague language
- Permissive suggestions
- Embedded suggestions, questions and statements
- Implication and presupposition
- Binds and double binds
- Linking suggestions to observations/facts/truisms
- Ambiguity: words with multiple meanings
- Posthypnotic suggestions
- Metaphor and analogy
Practising hypnotherapy involves an extensive set of verbal and nonverbal skills, to be used during trance inductions and therapeutic interventions.
- Observe, ratify and utilise minimal cues
- Use direct and indirect suggestion
- Analogue marking using voice tone and direction
- Normalise the client’s experiences
- Observe and ratify spontaneous trance phenomena
- Elicit specific trance phenomena
- Recognise and ratify spontaneous therapeutic steps
- Pace and lead experiences: verbally and nonverbally
- Create amnesia for specific suggestions
- Ideomotor signalling and questions to the unconscious
Utilisation of client’s experience
The principle of utilisation is unique to Ericksonian hypnotherapy. This course shows you how to utilise the key elements of the client’s experience.
- Behaviour, thoughts, feelings and emotions
- Interests, hobbies and talents
- Thinking style (metaprograms)
- Trance phenomena as metaphors for problems or solutions
- Norms, beliefs and values
- Questions, doubts, scepticism
Ericksonian hypnotherapy is radically different from classical hypnosis, which uses a predefined script for every symptom. We apply open and flexible interventions, allowing us to utilise the client’s responses, tap into their resources and guide them in a therapeutic direction. In level I you will learn:
- Mirroring Hands (multiple forms)
- NET: Nominalise – Externalise – Transform
- Submodality interventions (Ericksonian style)
- Pseudo orientation in time
After completing this course, you can use Ericksonian techniques, language and inductions in any communication-related field. You will be able to:
- Induce hypnotic trance conversationally, tailored to the client’s thinking style and needs
- Recognising, ratify and utilise minimal signals from the unconscious
- Practice multi-level communication with the conscious and unconscious mind
- Use indirect suggestion, implication and artfully vague language
- Recognise, elicit and utilise various trance phenomena
- Utilise behaviours, ideas and feelings for trance induction and therapy
- Use hypnotherapy with symptoms like stress, fears, phobias, IBS, smoking and weight-loss
- Use hypnotic language to enhance relaxation, self-confidence, creativity and self-esteem
- Combine Ericksonian hypnosis with your familiar methods of therapy, coaching or teaching
For whom is this course designed?
This unique fast-track training course is specially designed for people working in healthcare professions like psychotherapists, hynotherapists, coaches, counsellors and social workers and people working in education. Some people also take this course for their personal development and growth.
Jos is a very experienced teacher who delivers well-balanced training with plenty of opportunities to practice and experience hypnotherapy. I would certainly recommend it to other practising psychologists who are looking to expand their knowledge about hypnotherapy. ~ Jacqueline Kempers, Hypnotherapist
Date: 27 June – 1 July 2022
Location: Wijkermeerstraat 6, Hoofddorp (near Amsterdam airport), the Netherlands
Time: 10:00 AM to 5:00 PM
Fee: € 950,- incl. lunch
Trainer: Jos van Boxtel
Please note: dedicated on-site training is provided upon request.
About Jos van Boxtel
Jos van Boxtel: “I am a hypnotherapist, trainer and author with a private practice and training institute in Utrecht, the Netherlands. For the last 15 years, I have been practising and teaching Ericksonian hypnotherapy and NLP and integrating the two with approaches like EMDR, Solution Focused Therapy and Neurosemantics.
My mission in life is facilitating others in healing their wounds, overcoming their fears and achieving their goals and dreams. Ericksonian Hypnotherapy has become my leading approach, realising the power of rapport building, utilisation and indirect suggestion. Part of my mission is training others in the art of Ericksonian communication and hypnosis.
Along with my journey, I have intensely studied the work of the late Milton Erickson and his early followers Ernest Rossi, Jeffrey Zeig and Stephen Brooks and made it my own. With Brooks, I collaborate as the author of a series of books that are to be published in 2020. In my private practice, I apply the Ericksonian principles, techniques and language patterns on a daily basis and I enjoy teaching them in workshops and courses. I am fluent in English, German and Dutch.”